Wednesday 15 November 2017

Maddie's Book Review about Diary of a Wimpy Kid the Getaway by Jeff Kinney


The book was about Greg's family who went abroad over the period of the Christmas holidays. They
didn't want to stay at home because Greg's parents kept fighting and getting stressed out and his
dad hated being out in the cold shovelling the snow. Greg was the only one who wanted to stay at
home but he didn't have a choice and so they went on holiday to Isla de Corales which is the place
where his parents went for their honeymoon.
His parents wanted to stay in the same building where they stayed on their honeymoon but the lady
at reception said that the resort has changed since they’d last been there. The resort was now split
in two halves; the wild side and the mild side. Where they stayed on their honeymoon was now in
the wild side. Greg's family had to stay on the Mild side because no children were allowed on the
Wild side.
This book is number 12 in the series, but none of them are following on. Each book covers parts of
his life and like the other books and they are about a small part of the year in his life.
The book is about the holiday and everywhere they go something wrong or bad happens like: when
one little bird distracts the family while they were sat at a table outside; when the family are
distracted the other birds from the trees above swooped down and stole their food. There Iguanas
that wander around the resort on the Mild side and that scared Greg from ever going in the pool on
their holiday. Another part of the book is about something that happened with a spider and Greg but
you will only find out what happens if you get the book...
The main character is the wimpy kid called Greg and his family and friends who are: Rodrick, who is
his older brother; Manny, who is his younger brother; Rowley, who is his best and only friend and
Greg's parents. Rodrick is very mean and mischievous to Greg and Manny is very nosey and mean as
well. His parents are okay with Greg but sometimes can be quite disturbing and mean to him. I do
not have a favourite character because in the different stories I like different characters at different
times.
The story was written in the first person. If it wasn't in first person it wouldn't be a diary entry and it
would just be a story. The scene setting was described in detail for example it told how they went
through the snow and how cold it is for them. There were lots of feelings described in the book for
example: 'Well, my family just got back from holiday, and believe me, if I could've stayed home, I
WOULD'VE. But I didn't have a choice' clearly showed he was annoyed. It was a good story because
it drew you in every page and every page I turned I got even more excited. My favourite moment in
the story was when they always got caught wherever they went or whatever they did when they
were on holiday. I like the way the characters are in all the books and I wouldn't want to change
anything at all.
Jeff Kinney is probably basing the story on his own life and memories and just spun his own holidays
around to make it more fun for readers to read. I feel I am part of the book whilst I am reading it but
now after I've finished it I really want to read it again and wish I hadn't read it too quickly. I have
learnt from this book that everyone is different and like different things but it's always better to
listen to your parents. I would recommend this book because it is fun to read and Jeff Kinney is an
amazing author and my convincing reason is if you really like Tom Gates or Dork Diary you would
really like this book! Also, if you have read one of Jeff Kinney's other books you will also like this one

as well. I LOVE ALL THE DIARY OF A WIMPY KID BOOKS BY JEFF KINNEY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment